Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe: Developing effective relationships with international colleagues
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIE), the European division of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Inc., is a major video game company specializing in a variety of areas in the video game industry, and is a wholly owned subsidiary and part of the Consumer Products & Services Group of Sony.
The company was established in 1993, prior to the launch of the original PlayStation video game system. Sony Interactive Entertainment handles the research and development, production, and sales of both hardware and software for the PlayStation line of handheld and home console video game systems. It is also a developer and publisher of video game titles and is composed of several subsidiaries covering the company’s biggest markets: North America, Europe and Asia.
Improving company-wide communication training objectives
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIE) identified a need to improve communication across the EMEA region and with their headquarters in Japan.
Learnlight was approached by the Human Resources team to design and deliver language training programs to over 70 delegates with business or personal development objectives.
The key requirements of the training were to:
- Provide training in European and Japanese languages to improve communication across the company
- Maximize return on investment through high levels of delegate attendance
- Ensure training is offered company-wide to those with a genuine business need or who have shown commitment in the past for development purposes
The key challenges were identified as:
- Motivating SIE employees and elevating the status of language training to ensure that the minimum target of 75% attendance was achieved
- Adapting the core content to the individual needs of the group learners
- Providing a flexible solution to cater for busy diaries and limited availability
Learnlight and SIE worked in close partnership to ensure that the training met the learning styles of employees.
An open day provided an opportunity for current and new delegates to ask questions and to find out more about this important learning initiative. Detailed pre-training questionnaires and language assessments allowed Learnlight to develop a targeted company-wide language training program.
The key challenges were identified as:
- Professional company-wide language training in all required languages
- Training scheduled around the busy working days of SIE employees
- Constantly updated Management information made available to managers and delegates to monitor progress and ensure high levels of attendance and employee satisfaction
- Cross-cultural training provided to senior Directors and Managers to help SIE (UK) to gain a more effective understanding of their international colleagues
SIE now has a number of employees working towards being competent in a second language. Due to the high levels of sustained attendance, the company-wide language training program has helped SIE to engage and motivate its employees while ensuring that the significant investment delivered tangible benefits to the company in the form of increased communication across all SIE territories and improved staff morale and retention.
Based on the success of the training delivered and the customer service provided, SIE has regularly renewed their agreement with Learnlight.
What customers say
”The quality of the teachers is one of the company’s best assets, along with the management of all the paperwork involved in the program. Additionally, the platform makes virtual classes a highly effective option.”
“Learnlight work with us to really understand our needs and create training solutions that are tailored to our business needs. They provide engaging teachers who have really helped to bring the realities of working internationally to life.”
“In Learnlight we found the perfect partner for the launch and implementation of an innovative and effective language program, we regard the English Program (general and managerial) our most valued training initiative.”
“We are highly satisfied with the Learnlight service as they understood how to adapt to our requirements. They have an excellent methodology and the satisfaction rates, and the development of our employees has been second to none”
Ready to start?
Take your business on the first step to transformative learning today. We look forward to being part of your journey.